Friday, January 20, 2012

Untethered iPhone 4S and iOS 5 Jailbreak



 iPhone-hacking group Chronic Dev Team just released the first untethered jailbreak for the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 running iOS 5.0.1. We've explained why a tethered jailbreak can be such a hassle , which is why we've been waiting to recommend jailbreaking your up-to-date iPhone . Luckily, that wait is over.
…for Mac users, at least. Like normal, the initial release of the GreenPois0n tool, dubbed GreenPois0n Absinthe, is available for Mac only, with a Windows and Linux version on the way. Keep your eyes open for an update to our jailbreaking guideshortly.

Your Wait is (Finally) Over | GreenPois0n

Note: If you're having trouble loading the GreenPois0n page, here's a direct link to the download.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Comments regarding the process of Jailbreaking my iPhone 4s on Friday Jan 20th.

Initially, I couldn't get Absinthe to initialize on iOS 5.0...just sat there for about an hour saying this might take some time. Disconnected. Connected to Absinthe and let it clean up failed installation. Disconnected and proceeded to do an over the air update to iOS 5.0.1. Process completed and I did a backup in iTunes again.

Initialized Absinthe and soon(10 minutes)my screen stated that a restore was in progress. Restore completed after about 20 minutes.

Absinthe App on Mac stated to look for Jailbreak icon on the iPhone, but I couldn't find it. The name of the icon was NOT Jailbreak, but rather Absinthe. Once launched, it completed the Jailbreak Process and reboot my device. (Note: I had to manually set the VPN Connection to ON to resolve a DB error)

Phone booted sucessfully and I logged into Cydia and began downloading my previous purchases. Some were compatible some were not...Mobile Substrate kept my iPhone in Safe Mode. No bueno!

Restored iPhone in iTunes and began process again. Once Jailbreak completed, I immediately grabbed PKGBackup and did a highly selective restore of key applications. I installed 1 or 2 applications to ensure iPhone stability.

PKGBackup made the transition from my iPhone 3GS to my iPhone 4S nearly indistinguishable. All my apps were exactly where they were from my last backup from October.

Cheers to http://www.greenpois0n.com/